PUFFER RESEARCH STUDY
MESSAGE FROM RESEARCHER: MELANIE SAYWOOD
"As an honors student at the Sports Science Institute of South Africa I am studying the effects of fatigue on a runner's muscle activity, any running style changes (biomechanics) that may occur and what this means in relation to running efficiency. We hope to study runners who are competing in this year's PUFfeR ultra trail run in August. I was hoping that within your club there are runners participating in this event who might be willing to participate in the study. We are looking for male runners between the ages of 18-50, who have been injury free for the past six months and have a sub 3:30 marathon time. With the run imminent, there is some degree of urgency to contact participants, hence this email.
This study will be overseen by my supervisors Prof. Robert Lamberts and Dr. Nic Tam and will contribute to our greater understanding of how the body reacts during prolonged periods of activity and how slight changes in style could lessen muscle fatigue.
I would be very grateful for your assistance in forwarding this email and attachment to runners in your club and to possibly publish the attached poster on your club noticeboard.
If you require any further details or information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you very much for your assistance."
Contact Details: see flyer attached.
TRAIL RUNS FOR THIS COMING WEEK
TUESDAY 1 AUGUST 2017
Awaiting confirmation. Last week was Newlands Forest so probably town-side: Kloof Nek. But please check out their Facebook page for confirmation.
17h45 for 18h00 start.
3 / 4 pace groups.
Please bring torches / headlamps.
WEDNESDAY 2 AUGUST 2017
CRAG / CSAG / CWAG TRAIL RUN / SHUFFLE / WALK
Date: Wednesday 02 August 2017
Time: ready to go at 5.45 pm
Leaders: A N OTHER (run), Tim Bellairs (shuffle), Meindert Hoving (walk). If a Run Leader does not emerge then we will do a combined CRAG / CSAG Pack Run like the old days.
Location: Lionâ€™s Head / Signal Hill loop (see below, Directions)
Route description: Starting from the Kloof Nek parking area (see below, Starting point and Directions), we head up Signal Hill Road and along the Lionâ€™s spine path past the kramat to the Signal Hill viewpoint; then we retrace our steps to the kramat, hang a right downhill to the lower contour, and loop around the western side of Lionâ€™s Head, with a final climb back up to Kloof Nek and a welcome rehydrate. Sunset is at 6.07 pm, so headlamps are essential â€" no light, no run.
Duration and distance: approx 90 mins, approx 10 km
Shufflers: Tim Bellairs will lead a slower, more relaxed run, leaving from the same place at the same time, for the same approximate duration. Please note that the normal CSAG pace, whilst slower than the runner group, is intended to get the heart rate up and the lungs pumping, and provide a good work-out for those who, for whatever reason, don't run quite as quickly as they once used to. Shufflers are advised to bring/wear the appropriate kit (see below, Equipment).
Walkers: Meindert Hoving will lead the walkers on a BRISK walk, leaving from the same place at the same time, for the same approximate duration. Please note that the normal CWAG pace is quite fast â€" the walk is not intended to be a gentle stroll in the park; it will get the heart rate up and the lungs pumping, and provide a good work-out for those who, for whatever reason, don't run. Walkers are advised to bring/wear the appropriate kit (see below, Equipment).
â€" 100% runnable
â€" pack run
Starting point: Kloof Nek parking area (click for Google Maps)
Directions: Get to Kloof Nek via Buitengracht and Kloof Nek Rd (from the city) or Geneva Drive / Camps Bay Drive or Kloof Rd (from Camps Bay), or simply follow the M62 / cable car / hiking signs up to Kloof Nek. At the circle, turn onto Tafelberg Rd, skip the first entrance to the parking area, which is now the stop and turnaround area for the MyCiti shuttle, and use the second one to park at the highest level (at the SANParks info office).
â€" headlamp / torch essential
â€" water/energy drink/munchies
â€" weather-appropriate clothing/gear; long-range forecast for 6 pm says cloudy skies with rain, 15 Â°C, fresh breeze NW 25 kph
â€" personal medication (if required)
â€" something liquid for post-run rehydrate session
â€" warmer/dry clothing for the rehydrate session
â€" whatever else you personally need for comfortable, safe trail running
Car guards 02 Aug â€" none
PLEASE TAKE NOTE
The latest emergency numbers being promoted by SANParks, TMNP, SAPS and all the others are
- City emergency — 021 480 7700: calls patched through direct to Joint Ops Centre and then routed to relevant responders
- Table Mountain National Park rangers — 0861 106 417: goes directly to Visitor Safety rangers; report anything suspicious or out of the ordinary, persons, objects, possible camp sites, bark stripping, etc etc
This message is sent out to all subscribers to the mailing list of CRAG (Cape Runners Against Gravity).
- To subscribe, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To unsubscribe, send an email to email@example.com
- To change your email address, perform Step 2 from the old address and then Step 1 from the new address.
CMC-Durbac Wednesday Pack Run
Please note new winter starting time!!
When: Wed, 2 August 2017
Time: Meet 17:30 to run 17:45
Where: Meerendal Wine Estate
Distance: 7km and 10km run options
Park and meet at: opposite the tasting room at Meerendal at 17:30
Friends and slow runners welcome.
TRAIL AND TAR – 2 AUGUST 2017
We await confirmation.
Bring headlamps – ESSENTIAL!
Requirements for Wed runs:
Good sense of humour
Sense of adventure ...groups have been known to get lost in the woods!!
And R15 bucks which goes towards my retirement fund...
Woggers................Nice easy pace for those who just starting out but have a little fitness
Supa Chilled..........for the runner wanting to take it easy, or suffering from a bub alas, gentle pace
Nice n Easy............for the racing snake wannabes who like the idea of running fast, but not the pain.....
No Pain No Gain ...for ex athletes and desperate wannabe athletes...can hurt occasionally
PAIN.....................for the nutcases who get off on inflicting pain on their mates.
THURSDAY 3 AUGUST 2017
NB: HEADLAMPS ARE NOW REQUIRED FOR ALL RUNNERS, NO LAMP, NO RUN!
When: 3 August
Where: Meet at KLOOF NEK in the parking area on the left just 100 metres above Kloof Nek itself (i.e. near the bottom of Tafelberg Road) in time to start running at 18h00.
Route: Deer Park
Fast, Fast-Medium, Medium and Medium-slow pace options available, each with an experienced group leader to cater for different speeds, so provided you can run a flat 10kms in less than 65 minutes, there will be a group for you.
NB: PLEASE ALL DO YOUR BEST TO STAY IN YOUR GROUPS – MOST PARTICULARLY DO NOT RUN AHEAD OF YOUR GROUP LEADER. If you are new to the runs and unsure of the pace of the various groups, then rather run with a slower group initially. Thanks
If you are new to the runs and unsure of the pace of the various groups, then rather run with a slower group initially. Thanks
FRIDAY 4 AUGUST 2017
SATURDAY 5 AUGUST 2017
K-WAY VOB TRAIL RUNNING GROUPS
LONGER DISTANCE GROUP
Please join Table Mountain Trailers.
TABLE MOUNTAIN TRAILERS (K-WAY VOB MEDIUM DISTANCE GROUP)
Pipetrack - Corridor Ravine - Kasteelspoort/Tranquility Loop
This Saturday we'll be doing the Pipetrack - Corridor Ravine - Kasteelspoort/Tranquility Loop.
We start along the Pipe Track with magnificent views over the Atlantic seaboard all the way to Corridor Ravine. Up Corridor, then two left turns to explore Tranquility Cracks. Continue along the Twelve Apostles route to check out the top of the old cableway used to build the dams, there's a great view from there. We then head down Kasteelspoort and back along the Pipetrack to the carpark.
Rendevouz and start time:
We will meet at Kloof Nek in the 2nd car park where the SanParks hut is ready to start at 07:30.
Terrain and Distance:
The Pipetrack is fairly flat, but rocky in areas. There is a steep ascent up to the top and some single track along the Twelve Apostles route to Kasteelspoort. The route will take approximately 2.30 - 3hours. See attachments for the main route and elevations.
The recovery group will turn up Woody Ravine for a shorter route.
Slow Group (To Be confirmed):
The slow group will turn up Kasteelspoort from the Pipetrack before turning back.
What to bring:
Water (please bring enough for the full duration of the run), whistle, a weather or waterproof jacket and a light snack.
See you all there!
Warning for all K-Way VOB Trail Runs: Trail running is inherently more dangerous than road running. It takes place over uneven hazard strewn trails in exposed and often remote terrain where help is not always readily available.
Participation is voluntary and entirely at your own risk as although the organizers take reasonable precautions to ensure runner safety, it cannot be guaranteed. To this end neither the Club nor the organisers personally can be held liable for any claims relating to inter alia, injuries, disabilities and death. Further any minor child participating in any trail running activity will be deemed to be doing so with the consent of his or her guardian.
By starting out on a trail run you explicitly acknowledge that: 1] you understand the associated risks involved and accept full responsibility for your own safety. 2] you are medically and physically fit to participate and 3] are carrying the necessary water, clothing and safety equipment required for the particular run.
HOUT BAY TRAIL CHALLENGE – 5 AUGUST 2017
Hout Bay Trail Challenge 2017 entries will be opening next week on the 30th of May 2017 at 10:00am. We will only be having the one course this year - 40km Challenge.
- Race Date: Saturday 5th August 2017
- Start Time: 07:00am
- Start & Finish: Hout Bay Harbour (yacht club)
- Cut-Off: 17:00
- Distance: 40km
- Route: Marked, divided into 3 legs, check out the route details.
- Total Elevation: +-2500m
SUNDAY 6 AUGUST 2017
MATES RUN – PUFFER TRAINING RUN
Sunday 6th August
Silvermine R5 Carpark off Ou Kaapse Weg, about 300m DOWN the road from the Main Silvermine Road (Also ask dad for some pocket money for the Silvermine Reserve Fee, "just in case")
Co-ordinators: Dopo "Deadman" Lykiardopulos and the CEO Michael Ohlsson - Fast group (083 659 8443\082 319 7250)
"Magic" Marcy Loubser and Lize-Marick "Voortrekker" Keyser - Medium group
Spencer "the Legend" - Slow group
From the car park we cross Ou Kaapse Weg and hit the sneaky single track into Silvermine then joining onto the River Walk which we run all the way towards the Dam. At the intersection to the Dam we head right up towards the Elephants Eye path, joining onto the PUFfeR route up to the Mast Road and then all the way down to the Vlakkenberg Crossroads. Left at the Crossroad and down the singletrack to Blue Valley Ave and the about 500m down the tar road we take a right on to the Jeep Track which takes us all the way up towards Constantia Nek, eventually coming out at the road and crossing over at the Circle to the Constantia Nek Car Park. We then head up the steps to the tap by the Bailiffs Hut. This is where the fun starts because from here we now have to find our way back to our Cars in Silvermine WITH REPEATING AS LITTLE OF THE ROUTE WE HAVE USED SO FAR AS POSSIBLE!
Time and distance:
4-5 hours, about 35km.
• Take your own water and snacks.
• All runners are welcome.
• You need to be completely self-sufficient. Carry everything you will need on the day. This includes a basic medical kit, space blanket, whistle, windproof (waterproof if it is raining) jacket, warm headgear if it's cold or sun protection if it's hot. Charged cell phone with Mike's number (0823197250) stored as well as the City's emergency ops number (021 480 7700) and the SANParks Visitor Safety number (0861 106 417) programmed in. Just in case you need rescuing.
• You are also responsible for your own water and nutrition. There is little to no water on the mountain and, for the roadies, there are no water stations. You MUST carry your own.
Bring ice cold beers for after.
Durbac-CMC Pack Run
NO OFFICIAL RUN: Winter Trail Series Race 3
UPCOMING TRAIL EVENTS AND CLUB TRAINING RUNS
DON'T FORGET MONDAY: K-WAY VOB MONDAY EVENING CITY BOWL TRAIL RUN – MONDAY 14 AUGUST 2017
All runners welcome.
Headlamps / Torches now compulsory.
Meet at Kloof Nek car park at 17h45. To start at 18h00.
Distance about 9 - 10km. 60 – 75 minutes.
For more info contact Tim on firstname.lastname@example.org .
GREEN FOREST TRAIL RUN SERIES
NEW MELKBOS TRAIL EVENT FOR WONDERFUL CHARITY – THE FALLEN ANGELS TRAIL RUN – 19 AUGUST 2017
The gang from Melkbos are organizing an event on behalf of Fallen Angels Rescue Centre. We will have a 5km fun walk/run and a 15km farm challenge. No major hills, one river, some sand - but glorious views of Table Mountain. All proceeds are going to Fallen Angels.
Looking to run a fast course, but don't feel like hitting the tar? Come join us in the beautiful Koeberg, on the old historic farm of VAATJIE on the 19th of August for a farm run! Choose between a more challenging 15km or an easy family-friendly 5km walk/run.
Your efforts will be rewarded by beautiful canola fields with Table Mountain as a backdrop! For good measure, we will add just a little bit of sand, maybe a river crossing or two – possibly just one small hill and to finish it off, a medal at the end!
All of this will be in support of Fallen Angels Pet Rescue Centre outside Melkbosstrand – so come run the trails for tails and support this wonderful cause!
The objective of this day is to raise much needed funds for Fallen Angels to cover their veterinary expenses, maintain their current structures and build upgraded wards for their animals (such as isolation wards for sick animals). All the proceeds of the event will go to Fallen Angels
The event will include vendors, lucky draws, food stalls and children's entertainment. A 5km fun run and fun ride is also planned for the children, as high focus will remain on involving the youth with our mission and path forward.
The race will start and end at Vaatjie Kleine Zoute Farm (on the old Darling Road, 18km from Melkbosstrand
Fast and Flat Farm Challenge – 8am
5km Fun Run – 8:15am
Fallen Angels (NPO 133-448) is based outside Melkbosstrand and since 2014, has been playing an active part of the greater community, to save and improve the living conditions of animals in their immediate surroundings, while maintaining their rehabilitation. This may involve re-homing animals who are unwanted, unloved or lost. As children are our future, we believe in incorporating them in the rehabilitation of our animals – this acts as therapy not only for the dogs, but also for the children - we always encourage positive interaction between our rescues and children. This builds a base of love, trust and respect in both the rescue and the child, for one another, but also for any relationships to follow.
15km – R100
5km – R40
Address: Vaatjie Farm, R304 (Old Darling Road towards Atlantis), Melkbosstrand
More information: web.facebook.com/events/1878760009045746
NEW EVENT: NID TRAIL RUNS – 10 AND 11 NOVEMBER 2017 – KAROO NATIONAL GARDENS (WORCESTER)
Take on dusk and dawn with this exciting running challenge benefiting persons with hearing loss.
Dusk: Race starts at 19:30 Friday 10 November 2017. Choose between 12, 8 and 4 km.
Dawn: Race starts at 05:30 Saturday 11 November 2017. Choose between 22, 12 and 8 km.
22km = R 220 / 12km = R 120 / 8km = R 80 / 4km = R 40
Donations to NID of R 250 or more get one FREE entry. If you enter both days, your cheapest entry will be half price.
All donations to NID are deductible from tax.
For more information and to enter, email email@example.com.
Flyer available on request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
There seem to be lots of new faces arriving at the weekly runs and from feedback received it seems it would be useful to clarify some basics and also advise which groups are suitable for which runners:
- The 4 groups referred to here are by no means the only clubs organisations that offer trail runs but these groups above are open to all runners, not just club members. There may well be other clubs that do this but we are not aware of them or they are not open groups. If you are looking for a club to join though then we would love to have you as a member at K-Way VOB. But It is not compulsory.
- For these 4 groups, there are no fees payable for attending the runs. They are free. The only costs you have to pay is where we have to pay entry fees to a reserve. These are for your account.
- There is no insurance involved. You run entirely at your own risk.
- You don't need to RSVP unless specifically requested. You just rock up and run. You may be required to fill in an attendance register at the run though.
- You are expected to know the general rules of trail running and which kit to wear and carry for the different weather conditions. If you don't know then you must ask.
· K-Way VOB Longer Distance Group: (Not operating at the moment) Saturday mornings. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. This group is for more experienced, fit trail runners who can do 15km – 25km of technical, tough trail at a medium to medium fast pace. For more information contact Tim Bellairs on email@example.com .
· K-Way VOB Table Mountain Trailers: Saturday mornings. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. There are three pace groups – 1. Main Group is a similar pace to the Longer Distance Group but for 10 – 15km and with more regroups than the Longer Distance Group which makes it do-able for some of the slower runners. 2. Recovery Group is a gentler pace for 7 – 10km suitable for recovering athletes and novice trail runners. 3. A walking group – not a stroll, but a brisk walk which has been known to bring walkers to near heart failure. For more info contact Peter Rogers (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- K-Way VOB Monday Evening City Bowl Group: Every second Monday evening from Kloof Nek car park. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. 8 – 10kms and most paces can be accommodated. Nothing too technical. For more information contact Tim Bellairs on email@example.com .
· MATES: Sunday mornings, Tuesday Evening Time Trials and some night runs. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. Similar to K-Way VOB Longer Distance Group and often a little (or a lot) more hard core (extreme terrain) but definitely do-able for most experienced trail runners. Helps to be a beer drinker. For more info contact Michael Ohlsson on 0823197250.
· CRAG / CSAG / CWAG: Wednesday evenings. All runners welcome. A pack run that caters for most trail runners. Not what I would call a beginner runner group as you need to be able to do 10 -15km of technical trail with confidence but once you have some base fitness then this is one of the first groups you need to join. Lots of experienced trail runners to advise you. The running group has recently been split in two. CRAG is the Faster Group and CSAG (Shufflers) is a slower running group. CWAG is the walking group for a brisk walk on the mountains. For more info contact Rod Prodgers at firstname.lastname@example.org or Christo Steyn at email@example.com or Ezan Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org .
· Celtics: Thursday evenings. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO RUN 10km IN 65 MINUTES. 4 – 5 Pace groups which cater for just about all speeds from slow to super-fast. If in any doubt, start with the slowest group and work your way up over time. A great place to kick off your trail running although you do need some base fitness (must be able to run 10km) even for the slowest group.
K-Way VOB Trail Running
Cell: 082 321-0299
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "K-Way VOB Trail" group.
To subscribe to this group because you do want to receive this email, send a blank (subject and main body) email to email@example.com
To unsubscribe from this group because you do not want to receive this email any more, send a blank (subject and body) email to firstname.lastname@example.org