TRAIL RUNS FOR THIS COMING WEEK
TUESDAY 29 AUGUST 2017
TBA probably on the City Bowl side this week but please check their Facebook page to confirm..
17h45 for 18h00 start.
3 / 4 pace groups.
Please bring torches / headlamps.
WEDNESDAY 30 AUGUST 2017
CRAG / CSAG / CWAG TRAIL RUN / SHUFFLE / WALK
Date: Wednesday 30 August 2017
Time: ready to go at 5.45 pm
Leaders: Freda Walters (run), Rod Prodgers (shuffle), Christo Steyn (walk)
Location: Northern slopes of Table Mountain
Route description: TBA
Shufflers: Rod Prodgers will lead a slower, more relaxed run, leaving from the same place at the same time, for the same approximate duration. Please note that the normal CSAG pace, whilst slower than the runner group, is intended to get the heart rate up and the lungs pumping, and provide a good work-out for those who, for whatever reason, don't run quite as quickly as they once used to. Shufflers are advised to bring/wear the appropriate kit (see below, Equipment).
Walkers: Christo Steyn will lead the walkers on a BRISK walk, leaving from the same place at the same time, for the same approximate duration. Please note that the normal CWAG pace is quite fast â€" the walk is not intended to be a gentle stroll in the park; it will get the heart rate up and the lungs pumping, and provide a good work-out for those who, for whatever reason, don't run. Walkers are advised to bring/wear the appropriate kit (see below, Equipment).
Starting point: Platteklip Gorge car park, Rafelberg Road
â€" headlamp / torch essential
â€" water/energy drink/munchies
â€" weather-appropriate clothing/gear; long-range forecast for 6 pm says partly cloudy skies, no rain, 12 Â°C, fresh breeze SSW 25 kph
â€" personal medication (if required)
â€" something liquid for post-run rehydrate session
â€" warmer/dry clothing for the rehydrate session
â€" whatever else you personally need for comfortable, safe trail running
Car guards 16 Aug : Ron Jessop and Barry Washkansky
PLEASE TAKE NOTE
The latest emergency numbers being promoted by SANParks, TMNP, SAPS and all the others are
- City emergency — 021 480 7700: calls patched through direct to Joint Ops Centre and then routed to relevant responders
- Table Mountain National Park rangers — 0861 106 417: goes directly to Visitor Safety rangers; report anything suspicious or out of the ordinary, persons, objects, possible camp sites, bark stripping, etc etc
This message is sent out to all subscribers to the mailing list of CRAG (Cape Runners Against Gravity).
- To subscribe, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To unsubscribe, send an email to email@example.com
- To change your email address, perform Step 2 from the old address and then Step 1 from the new address.
CMC-Durbac Wednesday Pack Run
When: Wed, 30 August 2017
Time: Meet 17:30 to run 17:45
Where: Bellville Golf Club, Kommissaris Street, Welgemoed
Distance: 5, 7.5 and 10km run options
Park and meet at: At the Welgemoed Preprimary School parking (NOT the primary school)
Friends and slow runners welcome.
TRAIL AND TAR – 30 AUGUST 2017
RUN Details for Wednesday 30th August:
Constantia Nek car park.
Headlamps .......not sure...if your as blind as a bat, better bring.!
We run for 60min
Requirements for Wed runs:
Good sense of humour
Sense of adventure ...groups have been known to get lost in the woods!!
And R15 bucks which goes towards my retirement fund...
Woggers................Nice easy pace for those who just starting out but have a little fitness
Supa Chilled..........for the runner wanting to take it easy, or suffering from a bub alas, gentle pace
Nice n Easy............for the racing snake wannabes who like the idea of running fast, but not the pain.....
No Pain No Gain ...for ex athletes and desperate wannabe athletes...can hurt occasionally
PAIN.....................for the nutcases who get off on inflicting pain on their mates.
THURSDAY 31 AUGUST 2017
NB: HEADLAMPS ARE STILL REQUIRED FOR ALL RUNNERS, NO LAMP, NO RUN!
When: 31 August
Where: Meet at KLOOF NEK in the parking area on the left just 100 metres above Kloof Nek itself (i.e. near the bottom of Tafelberg Road) in time to start running at 18h00.
Route: Lion's Head and Signal Hill route
Fast, Fast-Medium, Medium and Medium-slow pace options available, each with an experienced group leader to cater for different speeds, so provided you can run a flat 10kms in less than 65 minutes, there will be a group for you.
NB: PLEASE ALL DO YOUR BEST TO STAY IN YOUR GROUPS – MOST PARTICULARLY DO NOT RUN AHEAD OF YOUR GROUP LEADER. If you are new to the runs and unsure of the pace of the various groups, then rather run with a slower group initially. Thanks
If you are new to the runs and unsure of the pace of the various groups, then rather run with a slower group initially. Thanks
SATURDAY 2 SEPTEMBER 2017
K-WAY VOB TRAIL RUNNING GROUPS
LONGER DISTANCE GROUP
Please join Table Mountain Trailers.
TABLE MOUNTAIN TRAILERS (K-WAY VOB MEDIUM DISTANCE GROUP)
Silvermine East via Cave Peak - Spring Run!
This week we go back to Silvermine East starting at Sunbird Centre and going up via Trappieskop path and Cave Peak.
Rendezvous and Start Time
We meet in the parking lot at Sunbird Centre to start at 7:15am. Theoretically as it's now spring, the gate should be opened at 7am.
Terrain and Distance
All groups will run the same route at the start and then choose different routes back.
We start from Sunbird Centre and run straight along the jeep track till we get to the Clovelly Golf Club Clubhouse. Just after that there is a path to the left that takes us parallel to the road for about 0.5km. We then take the path up towards Trappieskop. The first path to the left takes us towards Cave Peak.
As we get towards the top there are 2 paths off to the right. Those who don't like scrambling can take one of these and join the Echo Valley path up the mountain to the junction with Dead Man's Path
The rest keep going past all the caves, scramble up a section, then the path bends to the right and joins the junction with Dead Man's Path.
From here the slower group will descend Dead Man's Path and take the path to the left which takes you down the mountain back to Sunbird Centre - around 9/10km
The medium group will continue to the amphitheatre, down Crassula path, cross the jeep track to do the Fisherman's trail, turn left towards the waterfall bridge and back to take the path back to Sunbird Centre (remembering that it is to the right!) - around 12km
The fast group will also continue to the amphitheatre, down crassula path but turn right at the jeep track taking the single track to the left to the far jeep track, turn right to Junction Pool and at Junction Pool turn left on to the single track running parallel to the jeep track. Then make their way back to Sunbird via the same path as the medium group. - around 14km
See attached map to follow convoluted explanations!
Flowing Single track and jeep track with a bit of a climb up Echo Valley/Cave Peak.
To be confirmed on Friday
What to bring
Water, whistle, warm, wind or waterproof top depending on weather
Important: Please remember to look behind you at every turn in the route to make sure the people behind you see which way you are going.
Leaders of each group will ensure that no-one is left behind . Please keep the groups together and ensure that no-one is left on their own.
How to get there
From the Tokai side, drive up and over Ou Kaapse Weg to the bottom intersection where there is a road to the right going to Noordhoek/Silvermine Village. Turn left here through the boom and drive down the road to park at Sunbird Centre
Map copyright Peter Slingsby
No Dogs allowed on our runs .
082 893 8617
Warning for all K-Way VOB Trail Runs: Trail running is inherently more dangerous than road running. It takes place over uneven hazard strewn trails in exposed and often remote terrain where help is not always readily available.
Participation is voluntary and entirely at your own risk as although the organizers take reasonable precautions to ensure runner safety, it cannot be guaranteed. To this end neither the Club nor the organisers personally can be held liable for any claims relating to inter alia, injuries, disabilities and death. Further any minor child participating in any trail running activity will be deemed to be doing so with the consent of his or her guardian.
By starting out on a trail run you explicitly acknowledge that: 1] you understand the associated risks involved and accept full responsibility for your own safety. 2] you are medically and physically fit to participate and 3] are carrying the necessary water, clothing and safety equipment required for the particular run.
DIRTOPIA RIDE AND RUN – SATURDAY 2 SEPTEMBER 2017
SUNDAY 3 SEPTEMBER 2017
Sunday 3 September 2017.:
Start: Constantia Nek – 6.30am
Leader: Dale Symons (082 -851 3949)
Route: Head over Vlakkenberg and turn right onto the tarred road to the Mast then right towards Manganese Mine. Continue along the contour path to the saddle between Noordhoek Peak and Chapmans Peak. Turn left and climb Noordhoek Peak. At the top turn back towards the Mast. Once at the Mast, head down the tarred road back to the Vlakkenberg turn-off. Back over Vlakkenberg to the Constantia Nek car park where we will enjoy some beers while supporting the TMC runners.
• Take your own water and snacks.
• All runners are welcome.
• You need to be completely self-sufficient. Carry everything you will need on the day. This includes a basic medical kit, space blanket, whistle, windproof (waterproof if it is raining) jacket, warm headgear if it's cold or sun protection if it's hot. Charged cell phone with Mike's number (0823197250) stored as well as the City's emergency ops number (021 480 7700) and the SANParks Visitor Safety number (0861 106 417) programmed in. Just in case you need rescuing.
• You are also responsible for your own water and nutrition. There is little to no water on the mountain and, for the roadies, there are no water stations. You MUST carry your own.
Bring ice cold beers for after.
Durbac-CMC Pack Run
NO OFFICIAL RUN because of Table Mountain Challenge.
TABLE MOUNTAIN CHALLENGE
UPCOMING TRAIL EVENTS AND CLUB TRAINING RUNS
DON'T FORGET MONDAY: K-WAY VOB MONDAY EVENING CITY BOWL TRAIL RUN – MONDAY 11 SEPTEMBER 2017
All runners welcome.
Headlamps / Torches still compulsory for now.
Meet at Kloof Nek car park at 17h45. To start at 18h00.
Distance about 9 - 10km. 60 – 75 minutes.
For more info contact Tim on firstname.lastname@example.org .
GREEN FOREST TRAIL RUN SERIES
NEW EVENT: NID TRAIL RUNS – 10 AND 11 NOVEMBER 2017 – KAROO NATIONAL GARDENS (WORCESTER)
Take on dusk and dawn with this exciting running challenge benefiting persons with hearing loss.
Dusk: Race starts at 19:30 Friday 10 November 2017. Choose between 12, 8 and 4 km.
Dawn: Race starts at 05:30 Saturday 11 November 2017. Choose between 22, 12 and 8 km.
22km = R 220 / 12km = R 120 / 8km = R 80 / 4km = R 40
Donations to NID of R 250 or more get one FREE entry. If you enter both days, your cheapest entry will be half price.
All donations to NID are deductible from tax.
For more information and to enter, email email@example.com.
Flyer available on request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
There seem to be lots of new faces arriving at the weekly runs and from feedback received it seems it would be useful to clarify some basics and also advise which groups are suitable for which runners:
- The 4 groups referred to here are by no means the only clubs organisations that offer trail runs but these groups above are open to all runners, not just club members. There may well be other clubs that do this but we are not aware of them or they are not open groups. If you are looking for a club to join though then we would love to have you as a member at K-Way VOB. But It is not compulsory.
- For these 4 groups, there are no fees payable for attending the runs. They are free. The only costs you have to pay is where we have to pay entry fees to a reserve. These are for your account.
- There is no insurance involved. You run entirely at your own risk.
- You don't need to RSVP unless specifically requested. You just rock up and run. You may be required to fill in an attendance register at the run though.
- You are expected to know the general rules of trail running and which kit to wear and carry for the different weather conditions. If you don't know then you must ask.
· K-Way VOB Longer Distance Group: (Not operating at the moment) Saturday mornings. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. This group is for more experienced, fit trail runners who can do 15km – 25km of technical, tough trail at a medium to medium fast pace. For more information contact Tim Bellairs on email@example.com .
· K-Way VOB Table Mountain Trailers: Saturday mornings. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. There are three pace groups – 1. Main Group is a similar pace to the Longer Distance Group but for 10 – 15km and with more regroups than the Longer Distance Group which makes it do-able for some of the slower runners. 2. Recovery Group is a gentler pace for 7 – 10km suitable for recovering athletes and novice trail runners. 3. A walking group – not a stroll, but a brisk walk which has been known to bring walkers to near heart failure. For more info contact Peter Rogers (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- K-Way VOB Monday Evening City Bowl Group: Every second Monday evening from Kloof Nek car park. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. 8 – 10kms and most paces can be accommodated. Nothing too technical. For more information contact Tim Bellairs on email@example.com .
· MATES: Sunday mornings, Tuesday Evening Time Trials and some night runs. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. Similar to K-Way VOB Longer Distance Group and often a little (or a lot) more hard core (extreme terrain) but definitely do-able for most experienced trail runners. Helps to be a beer drinker. For more info contact Michael Ohlsson on 0823197250.
· CRAG / CSAG / CWAG: Wednesday evenings. All runners welcome. A pack run that caters for most trail runners. Not what I would call a beginner runner group as you need to be able to do 10 -15km of technical trail with confidence but once you have some base fitness then this is one of the first groups you need to join. Lots of experienced trail runners to advise you. The running group has recently been split in two. CRAG is the Faster Group and CSAG (Shufflers) is a slower running group. CWAG is the walking group for a brisk walk on the mountains. For more info contact Rod Prodgers at firstname.lastname@example.org or Christo Steyn at email@example.com or Ezan Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org .
· Celtics: Thursday evenings. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO RUN 10km IN 65 MINUTES. 4 – 5 Pace groups which cater for just about all speeds from slow to super-fast. If in any doubt, start with the slowest group and work your way up over time. A great place to kick off your trail running although you do need some base fitness (must be able to run 10km) even for the slowest group.
K-Way VOB Trail Running
Cell: 082 321-0299
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "K-Way VOB Trail" group.
To subscribe to this group because you do want to receive this email, send a blank (subject and main body) email to email@example.com. Please ensure you select "All Emails" in the delivery settings.
To unsubscribe from this group because you do not want to receive this email any more, send a blank (subject and body) email to firstname.lastname@example.org