This will be the only email from me this week other than the Table Mountain Trailers emails. I am off to Fancourt tomorrow. Yay!
THREE PEAKS FOR LEAPS - RUN FOR CHARITY (feel free to circulate this)
Kylie Janse van Vuuren is running Three Peaks to raise funds for charity. Please support her if you can:
"I am running the three peaks in aid of LEAPS this year. We have raised R1700 and would like to reach R10 000.
I have created a back-a-buddy page at the following link for people who would like to donate. https://www.backabuddy.co.za/champion/project/three-peaks-for-leaps
All donors will be entered into a lucky draw to win a fine living picnic backpack (pictured).
Donors can also make donations via SnapScan, but please be sure to send a screenshot/ details of your donation to me on 071 568 2627 be entered into the lucky draw.
Thank you for helping the Paw!!
TRAIL RUNS FOR THIS COMING WEEK
TUESDAY 17 OCTOBER 2017
We await confirmation but it should be Newlands Forest car park, this week.
Watch their Facebook page for confirmation.
17h45 for 18h00 start.
3 / 4 pace groups.
WEDNESDAY 18 OCTOBER 2017
CRAG / CSAG / CWAG TRAIL RUN / SHUFFLE / WALK
Date: Wednesday 18 October 2017
Time: ready to go at 5.45 pm
Leaders: Paul "The Enforcer" Whitmill (run), Erich Minnaar (shuffle), John Yeld (walk)
Location: Cecilia Forest (see below, Directions)
Route description: From the start at the Cecilia Forest parking area (see below, Starting point and Directions), we head up (of course) into the forest along a selection of jeep tracks and hiking paths, and then down again, for about 90 mins. Sunset is at 7.02 pm, so headlamps are advisable, especially for the last 30 mins or so.
Duration and distance: approx 90 mins, approx 9 km
Shufflers: Erich Minnaar will lead a slower, more relaxed run, leaving from the same place at the same time, for the same approximate duration. Please note that the normal CSAG pace, whilst slower than the runner group, is intended to get the heart rate up and the lungs pumping, and provide a good work-out for those who, for whatever reason, don't run quite as quickly as they once used to. Shufflers are advised to bring/wear the appropriate kit (see below, Equipment).
Walkers: John Yeld will lead the walkers on a BRISK walk, leaving from the same place at the same time, for the same approximate duration. Please note that the normal CWAG pace is quite fast â€" the walk is not intended to be a gentle stroll in the park; it will get the heart rate up and the lungs pumping, and provide a good work-out for those who, for whatever reason, don't run. Walkers are advised to bring/wear the appropriate kit (see below, Equipment).
Starting point: Cecilia Forest parking area (click for Google Maps)
Directions: From the M3, follow the signs to Kirstenbosch, but continue past the main entrance towards Constantia Nek, and past Top (Rycroft) Gate; about 1 km further the Cecilia Forest parking area will be on the right. From Constantia Nek, head along the twisty Rhodes Drive towards Kirstenbosch, and after about 3 km the Cecilia Forest parking area will be on the left.
â€" headlamp / torch advisable
â€" water/energy drink/munchies
â€" weather-appropriate clothing/gear: long-range forecast for 6 pm says clear skies, slight chance of rain, 15 Â°C, moderate breeze WSW 18 kph
â€" personal medication (if required)
â€" something liquid for post-run rehydrate session
â€" warmer/dry clothing for the rehydrate session
â€" whatever else you personally need for comfortable, safe trail running
Car guards 18 Oct â€" NO GUARDS
PLEASE TAKE NOTE
The latest emergency numbers being promoted by SANParks, TMNP, SAPS and all the others are
- City emergency — 021 480 7700: calls patched through direct to Joint Ops Centre and then routed to relevant responders
- Table Mountain National Park rangers — 0861 106 417: goes directly to Visitor Safety rangers; report anything suspicious or out of the ordinary, persons, objects, possible camp sites, bark stripping, etc etc
CMC-Durbac Wednesday Pack Run
When: Wed, 18 October 2017
Time: Meet 17:45 to run 18:00
Where: Majik Forest
Distance: 5 - 9 km run
Park and meet at: "Park and Ride" facilities at the Protea Hotel, off Jip de Jager
This is a really fun route - a bit of a climb, views over the Durbanville vines, and some seriously speedy single track through the forest.
Friends, non-members and slow runners welcome. There will also be a walk with the kids group
TRAIL AND TAR – 18 OCTOBER 2017
RUN Details for Wednesday 18th October:
Trail and Tar store, Tokai.
18:00 NEW Start time
We run for 60min
Unfortunately we no longer cater for WALKERS.
Requirements for Wed runs:
Good sense of humour
Sense of adventure ...groups have been known to get lost in the woods!!
And R15 bucks which goes towards my retirement fund...
Woggers................Nice easy pace for those who just starting out but have a little fitness
Supa Chilled..........for the runner wanting to take it easy, or suffering from a bub alas, gentle pace
Nice n Easy............for the racing snake wannabes who like the idea of running fast, but not the pain.....
No Pain No Gain ...for ex athletes and desperate wannabe athletes...can hurt occasionally
PAIN.....................for the nutcases who get off on inflicting pain on their mates.
THURSDAY 19 OCTOBER 2017
When: 19 October ready to run at 18h00.
Where: Meet at CONSTANTIA NEK Meet in the parking area immediately adjacent to the traffic circle on Constantia Nek
Route: Upper Cecilia Forest, Contour Path, Kirstenbosch, Lower Cecilia loop
Fast, Fast-Medium, Medium and Medium-slow pace options available, each with an experienced group leader to cater for different speeds, so provided you can run a flat 10kms in less than 65 minutes, there will be a group for you.
NB: PLEASE ALL DO YOUR BEST TO STAY IN YOUR GROUPS – MOST PARTICULARLY DO NOT RUN AHEAD OF YOUR GROUP LEADER. If you are new to the runs and unsure of the pace of the various groups, then rather run with a slower group initially. Thanks
If you are new to the runs and unsure of the pace of the various groups, then rather run with a slower group initially. Thanks
SATURDAY 21 OCTOBER 2017
K-WAY VOB TRAIL RUNNING GROUPS
LONGER DISTANCE GROUP
No run this week.
TABLE MOUNTAIN TRAILERS (K-WAY VOB MEDIUM DISTANCE GROUP)
CONSTANTIA NEK / RESERVOIRS / SMUTS TRACK
This Saturday we'll head out on to the back table, around the reservoirs and back via Smuts Track.
Brief Description of Route
From the Constantia Nek parking area, immediately left up the steps and onto the concrete road past the Overseer's cottage. A jog past the reservoirs and on to the waterworks museum, before heading back via Smuts Track.
Rendezvous and Start Time
RV in the Constantia Nek parking area for the briefing by 6.35 in time start running at 6.45am. Please make sure you confirm your attendance on the register.
Terrain and Distance
A good uphill climb on single track and jeep track. More or less 14 km taking in the region of about 3 hours for the Fast group, and about 12 km for the Medium group. Slow group to be confirmed on Friday.
Please take note of the longer time for this route.
What to bring
Water (essential), whistle, warm, wind or waterproof top depending on weather. Space blanket and ICE card/details.
Please remember to look behind you at every turn in the route to make sure the people behind you see which way you are going.
Important: Stay with your group. Front Runners wait for the back of your pack.
Sorry - no dogs allowed on TMT runs.
Group leaders will be confirmed.
See you there
Warning for all K-Way VOB Trail Runs: Trail running is inherently more dangerous than road running. It takes place over uneven hazard strewn trails in exposed and often remote terrain where help is not always readily available.
Participation is voluntary and entirely at your own risk as although the organizers take reasonable precautions to ensure runner safety, it cannot be guaranteed. To this end neither the Club nor the organisers personally can be held liable for any claims relating to inter alia, injuries, disabilities and death. Further any minor child participating in any trail running activity will be deemed to be doing so with the consent of his or her guardian.
By starting out on a trail run you explicitly acknowledge that: 1] you understand the associated risks involved and accept full responsibility for your own safety. 2] you are medically and physically fit to participate and 3] are carrying the necessary water, clothing and safety equipment required for the particular run.
SUNDAY 22 OCTOBER 2017
Mates Run – Sunday – 22 October 2017
Leader: Oriole Bolus
Start: 8 Maynard Road, Muizenberg (see map below)
Route: Starting at 7am at 8 Maynard rd. We then head towards the beach, at the beach we turn right and run along to the St James board walk, at St James we take a right up the staircases to Boyes drive, at Boyes we hit the trail all the way up close to the Amphitheatre, then down the valley towards Silvermine parking, at Silvermine parking we turn towards Steenberg Peak over to Muizenberg peak. Finishing off the trail down Pecks valley back to the beach and over to Maynard rd.
Afterwards we can have a couple of beers on the open roof of the block (Bonnie Brook) that I live in. Those who would like to join for this ca bring snacks and beers.
Durbac-CMC Pack Run
When: Sun, 22 October 2017
Time: Meet at 7:15am for 7:30am start
Where: Table Mountain - it misses us!
Meet at: Kloof Nek parking lot
Directions: As you turn into Tafelberg road from Kloof Nek road, the parking lot immediately to your left
Distance and Time:
Short: 10km - 2 hours
Long: 20km - 3.5 hours
Leaders: Robert Henning and Caro Jordaan
Long: 20km (1700m climb)
The route begins with some lovely climbing up kloof corner, followed by a nice run along the table mountain contour path.
At Platteklip gorge we take a right up the gorge, with a little climbing up to the top of Platteklip.
The long course turns left, onwards to Maclears beacon, after which we turn right until the reservoirs.
Here we run around on top of the table for a bit, maybe stopping at the reservoirs to have something to eat and get our feet wet.
After that we come down via Kasteelspoort, and run back along the pipe track.
Short: 10-12km (1100m climb)
Same as the above, but turn back and retrace your steps from Maclears beacon or before (the group gets to decide by simple majority vote...)
Friends, strange people and non-members welcome! Beers for afterward...
Please take note of the duration of the run as well as the weather and plan accordingly. You need to be self-sufficient as far as hydration and food are concerned, and wear weather appropriate clothing. We try to cater for everyone's needs, but this is a pack run. Choose a group that reflects your abilities, and then stick together. It is fun!
UPCOMING TRAIL EVENTS AND CLUB TRAINING RUNS
DON'T FORGET MONDAY: K-WAY VOB MONDAY EVENING CITY BOWL TRAIL RUN – Next run will be 23 October 2017.
All runners welcome.
Meet at Kloof Nek car park at 17h45. To start at 18h00.
Distance about 9 - 10km. 60 – 75 minutes.
For more info contact Tim on email@example.com .
NEW EVENT: NID TRAIL RUNS – 10 AND 11 NOVEMBER 2017 – KAROO NATIONAL GARDENS (WORCESTER)
Take on dusk and dawn with this exciting running challenge benefiting persons with hearing loss.
Dusk: Race starts at 19:30 Friday 10 November 2017. Choose between 12, 8 and 4 km.
Dawn: Race starts at 05:30 Saturday 11 November 2017. Choose between 22, 12 and 8 km.
22km = R 220 / 12km = R 120 / 8km = R 80 / 4km = R 40
Donations to NID of R 250 or more get one FREE entry. If you enter both days, your cheapest entry will be half price.
All donations to NID are deductible from tax.
For more information and to enter, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Flyer available on request to email@example.com .
There seem to be lots of new faces arriving at the weekly runs and from feedback received it seems it would be useful to clarify some basics and also advise which groups are suitable for which runners:
- The 4 groups referred to here are by no means the only clubs organisations that offer trail runs but these groups above are open to all runners, not just club members. There may well be other clubs that do this but we are not aware of them or they are not open groups. If you are looking for a club to join though then we would love to have you as a member at K-Way VOB. But It is not compulsory.
- For these 4 groups, there are no fees payable for attending the runs. They are free. The only costs you have to pay is where we have to pay entry fees to a reserve. These are for your account.
- There is no insurance involved. You run entirely at your own risk.
- You don't need to RSVP unless specifically requested. You just rock up and run. You may be required to fill in an attendance register at the run though.
- You are expected to know the general rules of trail running and which kit to wear and carry for the different weather conditions. If you don't know then you must ask.
· K-Way VOB Longer Distance Group: (Not operating at the moment) Saturday mornings. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. This group is for more experienced, fit trail runners who can do 15km – 25km of technical, tough trail at a medium to medium fast pace. For more information contact Tim Bellairs on firstname.lastname@example.org .
· K-Way VOB Table Mountain Trailers: Saturday mornings. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. There are three pace groups – 1. Main Group is a similar pace to the Longer Distance Group but for 10 – 15km and with more regroups than the Longer Distance Group which makes it do-able for some of the slower runners. 2. Recovery Group is a gentler pace for 7 – 10km suitable for recovering athletes and novice trail runners. 3. A walking group – not a stroll, but a brisk walk which has been known to bring walkers to near heart failure. For more info contact Peter Rogers (email@example.com ).
- K-Way VOB Monday Evening City Bowl Group: Every second Monday evening from Kloof Nek car park. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. 8 – 10kms and most paces can be accommodated. Nothing too technical. For more information contact Tim Bellairs on firstname.lastname@example.org .
· MATES: Sunday mornings, Tuesday Evening Time Trials and some night runs. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. Similar to K-Way VOB Longer Distance Group and often a little (or a lot) more hard core (extreme terrain) but definitely do-able for most experienced trail runners. Helps to be a beer drinker. For more info contact Michael Ohlsson on 0823197250.
· CRAG / CSAG / CWAG: Wednesday evenings. All runners welcome. A pack run that caters for most trail runners. Not what I would call a beginner runner group as you need to be able to do 10 -15km of technical trail with confidence but once you have some base fitness then this is one of the first groups you need to join. Lots of experienced trail runners to advise you. The running group has recently been split in two. CRAG is the Faster Group and CSAG (Shufflers) is a slower running group. CWAG is the walking group for a brisk walk on the mountains. For more info contact Rod Prodgers at email@example.com or Christo Steyn at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ezan Wilson at email@example.com .
· Celtics: Thursday evenings. All runners welcome. Not just for club members. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO RUN 10km IN 65 MINUTES. 4 – 5 Pace groups which cater for just about all speeds from slow to super-fast. If in any doubt, start with the slowest group and work your way up over time. A great place to kick off your trail running although you do need some base fitness (must be able to run 10km) even for the slowest group.
The K-Way VOB Trail Team
K-Way VOB Trail Running
Cell: 082 321-0299
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "K-Way VOB Trail" group.
To subscribe to this group because you do want to receive this email, send a blank (subject and main body) email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To unsubscribe from this group because you do not want to receive this email any more, send a blank (subject and body) email to email@example.com