Sent from my iPad
Begin forwarded message:
acsis VOB TRAIL RUNNING: SATURDAY 29 DECEMBER 2012 - KLOOF NEK TO BLOCKHOUSE AND BACK VIA DARK GORGE
SATURDAY 29 DECEMBER 2012 - KLOOF NEK TO BLOCKHOUSE AND BACK VIA DARK GORGE
Start Time and Place
We start at 06h00 sharp at the car park at Kloof Nek, just outside the
SANParks Info Centre.
We will make our way straight up Kloof Corner to the contour path.
Bit of a tough start but from there we will have plenty of good
running. We will take the Lower Contour Path all the way around to
the King's Blockhouse (KBH) via Platteklip Gorge and around Oppelskop.
Once we get to KBH we continue on the contour path around on the
Newlands side until we get to the start of Dark Gorge just before
Newlands Ravine. We will ascend Dark Gorge to the Saddle. Dark Gorge
itself has a small amount of exposure to it in the same vein as
Myburgh Waterfall Ravine but it is probably easier than the latter.
We cross the Saddle and drop down to the contour path which we follow
back to Platteklip Gorge. Down Platteklip to the road, 500m of tar
and then across into Deer Park and straight back down to Kloof Nek.
Probably just shy of 20km.
3.5 hours (ish).
Reasonably tough. Two big climbs; one at the start and then Dark Gorge
to the Saddle. Other than that it is pretty flat which means that the
pace has a tendency to creep up a bit. We will try and keep a lid on
* Bring lots of water. The mountain is pretty dry now so don't
rely on finding any out there in the streams. Also bring some snacks.
* Make sure you are properly kitted out for the weather conditions.
* Do Not leave valuables in your car as there have been break ins
in this area in the past. Leave everything else out of sight.
* Watch out for snakes on the paths. Most of this route is single track.
* We will request regrouping sessions from time to time,
especially as we near KBH as there have been muggings here in the
* Remember that there is a bit of height exposure in Dark Gorge.
Won't be a problem to anyone with just a normal fear of heights. I am
a sufferer of this affliction..........no comments, Kirsten!
* Bring ICE cold be'erages for the rehydration session after the run.
Cheers for now.
0823210299 / firstname.lastname@example.org