Can you believe that December is just about upon us ? Of course this means that the time is here for our final New Balance Trail Shoe Lucky Draw. This will take place before the run on Saturday. Two things:
· A huge thank you New Balance for their support this year and for sponsoring pairs of trail running shoes for our bi-monthly lucky draw. As always, we strongly encourage you to support New Balance in return by buying their high quality trail running (and other sport) products whenever you are considering a purchase. Thank you to New Balance and especially Katharine Tromp for all of her help during the year.
· As usual we will have a prize for the first trail runner who presents themselves to me in FULL New Balance attire this Saturday morning. No chancers like we’ve had in the past, please. Chancers will be forced to down a warm beer BEFORE the run. If you can’t drink alcohol, then it will be a glass of cod liver oil (apparently its good for you). If you are a vegetarian then it will be olive oil.
MONDAY HILL TRAINING
This evening we will be doing a new route. We will start at the Lower Cable Station in the tourist coach parking area just before the cable station on Tafelberg Road. We will climb up to the contour path and then head straight on up India – Venster to the point where we break off left onto the Right Face – Arrow Face Traverse (in our case it will be the other way around). Once across this “sensational traverse” we will descend Yellowstone Gully and Union Ravine to the contour path and drop back down to the cars.
Start 17h15 sharp.
Please note that there is some exposure to heights on this one but certainly nothing worse than we did last Saturday. J
Please let me know if you are attending.
SATURDAY 3 DECEMBER 2011 – KARBONKELBERG / SUTHER PEAK / SANDY BAY / HOUT BAY DUNES
Start Time and Place
Hout Bay Harbour at 06h30 sharp. Drive past Mariners Wharf in the direction of The Sentinel and take the next turning left into the harbour parking area. Once through the gate we will park just off to the left.
We will follow the Hout Bay Trail Challenge Leg 1 route up to the Karbonkelberg Radar Station and then across to Suther Peak. From there we drop down to the Hout Bay dunes. From the dunes we traverse left on the gravel jeep track, all the way to the end it. Then we drop down to the coastline and follow the narrow track back to the Sandy Bay beach. Once across the beach we climb back up to the top of the Hout Bay dunes again which we follow down to the houses and then onto the tar for a run in to the harbour through the residential area.
About 15 – 20km. I’ll tell you afterwards. A short route of about 11km can be devised by cutting out the Sandy Bay loop.
Allow 3 to 3 ½ hours.
1. Please carry enough water and food for the full run. As far as I know there is no water on this route. 500ml is normally not nearly enough, especially if it is hot.
2. Please dress appropriately for the weather conditions. Let me know if you are in any doubt as to what you should be wearing.
3. Cap and sunblock are highly recommended.
4. There have been muggings in this area so I ask you with tears in my eyes to PLEASE STAY IN GROUPS and be aware of your surroundings!
5. Lots of single track in an area that is not hiked nearly as much as Table Mountain so snakes are not as runner-friendly as other parts of the mountain. Keep a wary eye out for them. If you see one, stop and scream. I don’t know if this is the right thing to do but it certainly seems popular.
6. Please bring a few rand for entrance fee to the harbour (although the “authorities” may not be there at that time to collect) and also a tip for the enthusiastic car guards.
7. Please sign in on the register before starting out on the run.
REPORT BACK ON THE FREE PIQUES RUN
Will have to send this through tomorrow. I forgot to type it out yesterday and am a little pressed for time today. Sorry about that. It was a very interesting run!
Have a great week Everyone.
Tim Bellairs (Sir)
acsis VOB Trail Running
Cell: 082 321-0299
Nedbank Limited Reg No 1951/000009/06. The following link displays
the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and Company Secretary.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm ]
This email is confidential and is intended for the addressee only.
The following link will take you to Nedbank's legal notice.
[ http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/EmailDisclaimer.htm ]